Saturday, August 1, 2009

Opera in the Park

So think back…way back…to last weekend. An event that managed to slip through the blog cracks (mainly because Josh is way more on top of this whole blog thing than I am)…the great summer event: Opera in the Park.

Madison Opera presented this free, outdoor event and welcomed four talented vocalists to perform, joined by the Madison Opera Chorus and the Madison Symphony Orchestra. I have to say, this event was FANTASTIC, and free! Definitely geared toward music lovers, I was thoroughly entertained. Yet, the event was still structured to reach those who haven’t devoted countless hours…or should I say years…to music :) Programmed in two parts, the first half was all hardcore classical selections, ranging from Puccini to Verdi to Bizet. The second half began with some selections from Wagner’s “The Flying Dutchman” and then awkwardly transitioned to popular Broadway pieces, which brought on the waving of hundreds of glowsticks in the dark.

Throughout the evening, Josh developed a little crush on one of the performers, Ms. Holloway. Sadly, she was my favorite of the four vocalists, so I had to approve. Little does Josh know that when we go to baseball games together, I find myself thinking, “Wait, did I come here with someone… I think his name starts with a J… Hmmm, baseball pants…” Anyway, Opera in the Park was a huge thumbs up: the music was great, the sound was well done, and the glowsticks, oh the glowsticks... I had a fantastic time and I think Joe…I mean Josh did too. This event is definitely on my calendar for next summer! Check out this page for more info.

1 comment:

  1. jennifer holloway is big yum. according to isthmus' john w. barker, "A beautiful young woman with an astoundingly strong and even voice, she alone had the capacity to suggest real characters in her solos."

    don't believe me? read the article: http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=26495

    ReplyDelete